Friday, March 5, 2010

Form, Function and Flowers


I'm very much a "form-follows-function" person. Maybe it's because in my former life I was an accountant (honestly, I don't know how I ever did that). I'm conservative with a creative side. I remember when I was taking my interior design courses in the evenings after working all day with numbers, my instructors would sort of chuckle and tell me to tell my brain to switch sides. Even when I worked in design, accessorizing was the hardest part for me because well, most of the time the books and baubles that I'd find for the bookshelves had no purpose, other than to look pretty (okay, well, I guess that's a purpose). So, fast forward to sewing. The good thing about making things is the fabric designers have done all the hard work. I mean, I could make the simplest of bags (i.e. functional) and it would look great because the fabric is fabulous. So THANK YOU designers for making my hobby a little easier. That said, the clutch I made in Verna was lacking something - and until I added this little fabric flower, I didn't realize how naked the clutch looked. I envy those who can really let loose - adding a mix of fabrics, ruffles, buttons, rikrak, etc. to an otherwise merely functional item. I'm inspired every day by all you creative peeps out there. And just in case you wondered, the tutorial for this particular fabric flower can be found here at Pink Paper Peppermints along with some other crafty goodness.
Have a great weekend!
Susan

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining my blog too. I really love your blog and your stuff on Etsy! It's so wonderful to see all these beautiful things you create. It's very inspiring and motivating! Love this flower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh your flower came out so cute! I love the fabric you used and you're right it's the perfect touch for that bag. :)

    ♥ Melissa~
    Pink Paper Peppermints

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a former accountant myself I can completely understand what you are saying. I've got exactly the same problems (if you want to call them that). I have to remind myself to think "outside the box". I love your clutch by the way; with and without the flower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How precious! I love the pretty fabric you used and all of the detail! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colors and the prints! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete